Nut Load. Mini reviews of games old and new. No fuss. No spoilers. Occasional shock face.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Noby Noby Boy (2009)

Genre: Erm... | Players: 1 - 4 | Developer: Namco Bandai

NNB is an odd game. I’m not even sure if it can be called a game. I’ll try to explain. You control BOY, a kind of worm with a head and a butt. The left analogue stick moves his head; the right stick moves his butt. If you push them in opposite directions he stretches out. If you eat things (fruit, blocks, speakers, people, camels, etc) you can stretch further. The further you can stretch the bigger the object you can eat. You score points by stretching to as great a length as you can.

The SUN sends your points to a second character called GIRL, who's whizzing around the solar system and can only reach a new planet when you (and the rest of the world, it’s a cumulative thing) send her enough score. A new planet reached is a new level for you to stretch around on, and gives new things to eat. (This happened to me during playing, I chuckled: open in new tab for pic. That’s my worm character in the background, the long thing with the bunny on its back.)

Each world is a floating platform in space, so if you get too long your ass can fall off the sides. If your ass is too heavy, it’ll drag you down with it. You can lighten the load by shitting out things you've eaten, but that'll shrink you.

The camera controls are a nightmare until you get used to them. To move the camera you hold L1 and R1 and tilt the controller. You have to do that while simultaneously using L2 to eat things. If you want to zoom in or out you use one button and tilt. You can also spin around, go above or below BOY (inside the planet view) and more that I can’t even begin to try and remember right now.

It’s made by Keita Takahashi, the creator of Katamari Damacy, so if you've played it you’ll maybe begin to understand why I had trouble reviewing NNB. I'm giving up now. I can't write any more. My head is full of Noby.

Buyer's Guide:
Can only be bought directly from PSN.

3½ times literally eating my own ass and because IU demanded it out of 5

6 comments:

Impudent Urinal said...

Erm out of 5? surely you can put a number value on your experience.

Dr Faustus said...

Jebus. I'll edit one in.
It's hard to say as there were times it was hilarious and other times were it was frustrating and I hated it's movement. I also loved it for it's bizarre nature. It was like being in a relationship with a crazy bitch again.

Impudent Urinal said...

Doc and the unnatural always go together.

Dr Faustus said...

What?! I can't edit my grammar fail in my comment? Feck you, blogger.

Impudent Urinal said...

I left out a "don't" in one. It still burns...

Dr Faustus said...

We might have gotten away with it if I hadn't mentioned it. :smug: